Thames Ditton Regatta is held under the Rules of British Rowing.
The regatta conforms to the British Rowing Water Safety Code, now known as ‘Row Safe: A Guide to Good Practice in Rowing’. This can be found in the Almanack and are also available on British Rowing’s web site.
- Information about Events.
- Information about the Challenge8s event.
- Other important information about Entries.
ALL events take place in Morning and Afternoon divisions. Clubs who regularly compete here should note that this now INCLUDES J14 and J13s (whose events were previously “all day”). Regulars will also note that there are no specific J18 or Sch/Jun events: we welcome entries from crews of this age-group in Novice, IM3 and IM2/Challenge events.
Competitors (including coxes), boats and blades may NOT double up within a division.
There will be ‘Plate’ events for first-round losers in J14 and J13 crew (not 1x) events where possible.
See the FAQs at the bottom of this page for more on doubling up.
Events are offered in the following categories for 2017:
|IM2||4x, 1x||Challenge8s, 2x||Challenge8s, 2x||4x, 1x|
|IM3||4+, 1x||4+, 1x|
|Novice||4+, 1x||8+||8+||4+, 1x|
|J16||2x, 1x||4+, 4x||4+, 4x||2x, 1x|
|J15||4x+, 1x||4+, 2x||8+ (1st), 8+ (2nd)2, 4+, 2x||4x+, 1x|
|J14||8x+, 2x, 1x||4x+(A), 4x+(B)3||4x+(A), 4x+(B)3||8x+, 2x, 1x|
- BROE shows Masters A only: crews of all ages should enter this but state the crew’s age category in the Notes, and categories will be run based on entries received. Races will be arranged on a handicap basis if necessary.
- For a crew to race in J15 2nd VIIIs, there must also be a crew from the same club/school in J15 1st VIIIs at Thames Ditton. Please enter this event in the spirit in which it is intended i.e. if you have 2 “matched” crews, enter them BOTH in 1st VIIIs rather than entering one in 1st VIIIs and one in 2nd VIIIs which is for GENUINE second eights rowed by oarsmen ranked 9th and below in your squad.
- J14 ‘B’ events are additionally limited to scullers who have not won a head race at J14 level.
- ENTRIES CLOSE at 9am ON SATURDAY, 6 May 2017, or sooner if the regatta is becoming too full (which is likely: we closed 2 weeks early in 2016).
- You can contact the Hon Entries Secretary, Helena Smalman-Smith, at email@example.com or on 07765 237166.
- In the event of the regatta being over-subscribed, your entry may be rejected. The basis on which this will be done will depend on the entries received.
- We aim to start racing 8.30am, and finish before 6.30pm.
- We will only run an event if it has four or more entries (or eight in the case of Challenge8s). This is to help ensure events stay viable even if there are scratchings. Competitors are asked to indicate on their entry if they are not prepared to be moved up to higher status events.
- Please ensure that your OE details include a contact phone number that will be answered on Saturday, 6 May 2017, in case we need to contact you about your entries. A school switchboard number is not appropriate.
- Entries cost £13 per rowing seat (£104 for Eights/Octs, £52 for Fours/Quads, £26 for Doubles. £13 for Singles).
- Please DO NOT pay by credit card in OE when you make your entry! We appreciate that this sounds like an odd request. However, not all events you have entered will necessarily run because we only run events if they have at least 4 entries, and if we are unable to move any such crews to another convenient/acceptable event, we would have to give you a refund if you had already paid by credit card. However, the card processing charges would still be deducted, so this would cost us money. Therefore, please pay on OE only once we have confirmed/accepted your entries (or if we ask you to before confirming entries because your school/club has a bad track record of paying). We are also happy to receive cheques during the week before the regatta, or on the day. But not 6 weeks later. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Thames Ditton Regatta’ and should have the club and events to which they apply written on the back. If you want to send them in advance, send them to:
Hon. Entries Secretary
11 Quinton Road
If you need to be invoiced for your entries and/or you want to pay by direct transfer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Under no circumstances will the timetable be changed after the draw (unless it’s our mistake). Any likely change of status should be noted on the entry (e.g. if you are entering a race the previous weekend), and you should contact the secretary on 07765 237166 by the end of Sunday, 7 May 2017 if you are no longer eligible to race at the status at which you entered.
- All races are upstream over a distance of approximately 1,000 metres with a free start. The course starts by Thames Ditton Island and finishes just downstream of the River Mole. The course will be buoyed to separate it from the marshaling lane, but there are no buoys between the racing lanes.